I was over the moon when Jamie over at WatchGameRead nominated me for the Liebster Award, thank you 🙂
The Liebster Award is given to new bloggers as a way of saying ‘Hello’ or ‘Hallo’ seeing as though the word Liebster is taking from the German language.
So here’s how it works:
- Thank the person who nominated you and answer the 11 questions they’ve written for you.
- Give 11 random facts about yourself (optional)
- Nominate 5-11 different people with less than 200 followers and give them 11 questions to answer.
Jamie’s Questions were;
What’s your favourite series?
Oooh, now this is a tough one! I will have to go for the Drenai series by David Gemmell. The series comprises 11 different books (don’t worry, I won’t name them all) and contains some of the best fantasy charters that I’ve ever had the pleasure of reading. They are a must-read for heroic-fantasy fans.
Which fictional character would you like to have dinner with?
Hmm, now I think this would depend on the type of food we would be eating. Hannibal Lecter is not a good choice! I like garlic, so I would have to say Durzo Blint aka Prince Acaelus Thorne aka Garric Shadowbane. This guy has, quite literally helped to shape Midcyru and is a legend of their people. The stories he could tell would be endless and bloody fantastic. I admit, it wouldn’t be the easy getting him to ‘open up’ but imagine the stories once you did. I would also want to try the black ka’kari, that thing is awesome.
Which fictional universe would you prefer to live in?
Easy. Brandon Sanderson’s Cosmere. the world, the characters, the abilities! knowing my luck, I wouldn’t be able to burn any kin of metal or be able to use hemallurgy but still, it would be super cool to be a part of this universe!
What sort of role would you take in said world?
As I said above, I’d probably be useless, but if I could be anything?! I would have to be a ‘Sharbearer’. If you don’t know what this is, you NEED to read the Stormlight archive. They are huge books but are some of, if not the, best books around at this moment in time. And there are going to be loads more of them!
What’s your favourite period in history?
I am a massive fan of the TV series ‘Ripper Street’ and I love the period that it is set in (Victorian) and the simplicity of life in those times. I love the idea of sitting in an old pub and listening to the terrible piano music and the haze of cigarette smoke. Doffing my hat to ‘fair ladies’ and walking with a cane at the age of 27!
What’s your favourite quote?
I am not going to put a quote here, instead, I’m going to include a short exchange between two characters in the Novel Waylander by David Gemmell. The message is just brilliant;
Why did you start blogging?
For the fame, the fortune, and the endless possibilities!! Er… No. I actually started blogging because my wife doesn’t read fantasy! No, seriously, I wanted to talk about the books that I was reading but didn’t have the audience for it. My little brother is also a massive fantasy fan but is currently at university in Manchester and so I don’t get to speak to him very often. So I thought I would write about my favourite reads within a community that is geared towards that very activity. I have loved every minute of it.
What keeps you blogging?
The people I speak to and the books that I read. I have come across so many fantastic people since I started blogging. They encourage me through their comments and through their enthusiasm for reading. I have been lucky enough to read some great works that I may not have had access to/been introduced to had I not been blogging.
When is your favourite time to blog?
When I get in from work (now!). I have a stressful job and blogging is my favourite escape from that (as well as spending time with my wife and family). I love coming home from work, making a cup of coffee and reading other blogs and then writing on my own. It relaxes me and is a way of discovering other people’s favourite works.
When was the last time your mind is blown? What was it?
Ooh, when you have a brain as small as mine, this can happen frequently. It was probably when I read a recent article on the subgenre ‘Grimdark’. Joe Abercrombie wrote a piece called ‘The Value of Grit’ and it details how he sees the current (2013) view of Grimdark and what he agrees and disagrees with. It’s just brilliant.
What’s the thing on your bucket list you want to do the most?
I want to go to San Diego Comic-Con, like, sooo bad! I aim to do it in the future, and while I’m in the States next month, I am in Florida, Nebraska, and Kansas. I will get there, I WILL!
11 facts about moi!
- I am 27 years old, 6 feet tall and have dark eye and dark brown hair (damn, that sounds like a ‘lonely hearts’ ad!).
- I am sarcastic beyond belief.
- I am a huge sports fan; Chelsea FC, Dallas Cowboys, Durham CC and England Cricket fan.
- I once got a ‘U’ on an English Literature A-level exam on Frankenstein but then followed this up with two A* results in my Shakespeare modules which came in at 92% and 96%. Figure that one out. The worst thing was, I actually liked reading Frankenstein
- I love anime – DBZ and Bleach!
- I love the idea of speaking a second language but I haven’t got the discipline to sit down and learn one. I think I’d go for Spanish or French, definitely a latinate language.
- I can write fluently in IPA.
- I have two cats, named ‘Bibbles’ (my wife chose that one), and ‘Durzo’ (as you can probably tell, that was my choice!)
- I am a Social Worker in a child protection team – it’s the hardest job I’ve ever had.
- I got married in the beautiful coastal town in southern Italy, Sorrento, in August last year. Damn that’s flown over.
- I am the eldest of four children. I have two younger brothers and a little sister.
can’t nominate anybody can only nominate one person because I don’t know how to check how many followers you all have maybe one of my facts should have been that I am atrocious when it comes to figuring some of the finer features. So, as we’re currently being swamped by the Pokemon GO phenomenon, Timandra, I choose YOU! If you’re reading this and, like me, you have less than 200 followers then please do consider yourself tagged and give this a go. My questions are as follows;
- What book(s) are you reading right now?
- What is your favourite genre?
- Why is that your favourite genre?
- If you could meet an author in real life, who would it be? Past or present.
- What would you talk to that author about?
- What is your take on the subgenre, Grimdark?
- What is the longest book you have ever read?
- What’s the weirdest book you’ve ever read?
- What’s your favourite thing about blogging?
- If you could be any character that was the opposite sex/gender to yourself, who would that be?
- Where do you live? Can you describe it in three words?
Thanks again for the nomination Jamie, I really did enjoy doing this! And thank you for reading 🙂